|Oversight and Government Reform Committee Republicans Announce Key Staff|
Washington, DC – Ranking Member Darrell Issa today announced the retention and hiring of key staff members.
“Key staff changes and retentions for Oversight and Government Reform Republicans will allow us to quickly transition into our new role overseeing the Federal government under a new administration,” said Issa. “This new team has retained critical staff experience that will assist the Members of the Committee conduct their oversight responsibilities.”
- Staff Director – Lawrence Brady previously served on the Committee as a Senior Policy Advisor, and as Staff Director of the Subcommittee on Energy and Resources that Rep. Issa chaired from 2005-2006. He has served in senior management positions in government and the private sector. During the Reagan Administration, he served as Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Trade Administration, administering the government’s export and import trade regulatory functions, including the high technology export control program, as well as U.S. laws designed to prevent unfair sales of foreign products into the United States. As Assistant Secretary of Commerce, he also created a unit of 100 enforcement agents.
- Deputy Staff Director – John Cuaderes served on the Committee as a Senior Policy Advisor in the 110th Congress, and before that as Staff Director for the Subcommittee on Federalism and the Census. He joined the committee staff in 2003 and has 22 years experience in the government/political affairs arena.
- Chief Counsel for Oversight and Investigations – Jennifer Safavian will return to manage a team of attorneys and investigators responsible for indentifying waste, fraud and abuse in the position she has served in since 2003. Prior to joining the Committee, she served as oversight counsel for the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. In the 106th Congress, she was the Chief Counsel and Deputy Staff Director for the Government Reform’s Subcommittee on the Census. In addition to her record of public service, Ms. Safavian was a successful attorney with a large, Detroit-based law firm.
- Chief Counsel for Policy – Charles Phillips will be responsible for directing the legislative and policy agenda for the Committee. He previously served as Senior Counsel on the Committee, heading up information policy and government management issues. In addition, he served as a Special Counsel to the House Select Committee on Hurricane Katrina. Before returning to Capitol Hill, he served as a public policy attorney at a large Washington, D.C. law firm. Before joining the firm, he served as Counsel to Senator John Warner of Virginia.
- Director of Communications – Frederick Hill joins the committee to manage communications and serve as a spokesman. He has been a staff member for Rep. Darrell Issa since 2001, Rep. Issa’s first year in office, and has served as Rep. Darrell Issa’s Press Secretary since 2003.
- Press Secretary – Kurt Bardella will serve as the new Press Secretary and a spokesman for the Oversight and Government Reform Committee. He previously served as Director of Communications for Rep. Brian Bilbray and Press Secretary for Sen. Olympia Snowe. Prior to coming to Capitol Hill, he worked in the private sector for a San Diego-based public relations firm and as a producer and reporter for a local network news affiliate station.