Improving Government Accountability and Transparency
Washington D.C. (Apr. 26, 2021)— On Monday, May 3, 2021, at 11:00 a.m., Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney, the Chairwoman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, will hold a hybrid hearing on legislative reforms to enhance accountability and transparency, improve efficiency, combat waste and fraud, and build public trust in the federal government.
The Committee will examine legislation to strengthen the independence of Inspectors General, improve government transparency regarding senior government officials, enhance the accountability of federal advisory committees, and protect whistleblowers.
Legislation to increase government transparency includes the Periodically Listing Updates to Management Act (PLUM Act), the Federal Employee Access to Information Act, the Federal Advisory Committee Transparency Act, and the Presidential Records Preservation Act. The Committee will also consider reforms to strengthen transparency and accountability of acting officials.
The Committee will also examine potential reforms to existing laws to strengthen whistleblower protections for federal employees.
Mr. James-Christian Blockwood
Executive Vice President, Partnership for Public Service
Ms. Elizabeth Hempowicz
Director of Public Policy, Project on Government Oversight
Mr. Rudy Mehrbani
Senior Advisor, Democracy Fund
Edwin Meese III Center for Legal and Judicial Studies
- UC - Rep Norman - NAAUSA Letter of Support
- UC - Maloney - ACMRA Letter of Support (04.13.21)
- UC - Porter - AJ O'Connell Written Statement
- UC - Maloney - CIGIE Legislative Priorities 117th Congress Letter
- UC - Maloney - CIGIE Legislative Priorities 117th Congress
- UC - Maloney - Government Accountability Project - WB Support Letter (04.01.21)
- UC - Maloney - POGO Staff Report - DOJ Accountability Bill
- UC - Maloney - Emily Murphy Letter
- UC - Maloney - FACA GAO Report
- UC - Maloney - GAO Report PLUM Act - 3/19
- UC - Maloney - Non-profit Letter Endorsing PLUM Act
- UC - Porter - Non-profit, non-partisan org letter of support
- UC - Porter - study by Anne Joseph O'Connell
- UC - Maloney - Partnership for Public Service Letter
- Rep. Connolly - Statement for the Record