- To conduct oversight over the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) operations
- To discuss a variety of management issues at the IRS ranging from the rehiring of problematic employees to questionable information technology.
- In July 2017, Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) released a report which found that 10 percent of rehired IRS employees had previously been fired from the IRS or separated while under investigation for conduct or performance issues.
- A Government Accountability Office (GAO) report that noted 166 outstanding recommendations for the IRS relating to IT security.
- The IRS awarded a multi-million dollar contract to Equifax despite the September 2017 data breach affecting up to 145 million Americans.
Witnesses and testimonies
|The Honorable J. Russell George||Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration||Document|
|Mr. Gregory Kutz||Deputy Inspector General for Inspections and Evaluations||Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration||Document|
|Mr. Jeffrey Tribiano||Deputy Commissioner for Operations Support||Internal Revenue Service||Document|
|Ms. Gina Garza||Chief Information Officer||Internal Revenue Service||Document|