- To examine the use of devices that comprise the Internet of Things (IoT) and their current and potential uses in federal government.
- To explore potential cyber threats posed by the use of IoT devices.
- To review private sector recommendations for securing the IoT, and explore potential legislative solutions.
- The term IoT refers to products that can be connected to a network or internet.
- By the year 2020, the number of internet-connected devices is estimated to exceed 20 billion.
- These devices include WiFi-enabled thermostats, smart fridges, sensors, and machine components. Additionally, industries deploying IoT devices include agriculture, defense, energy, health care, manufacturing, and transportation.
- While the federal government invests in a number of IoT products to improve facilities and reduce costs, there is no industry-wide security standard to ensure the government is purchasing secure IoT devices.