- To discuss challenges facing the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA) regarding tracking official time.
- To explore whether official time is being authorized in a manner that is most effective for both the veterans being served and the American taxpayer.
- Authorized under section 7131 of title 5, official time is paid time off from assigned government duties to represent a union.
- A recent Government Accountability Office report found that VA does not have a standardized way of recording and calculating official time, resulting in unreliable data that inhibits VA’s ability to monitor official time use.
- Annual reporting of official time by agencies is not required under law but the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) may request agencies to disclose information on official time usage.
- OPM consistently published reports on official time usage from 2002 to 2011.
Assistant Director, Education, Workforce, and Income Security
U.S. Government Accountability Office
Acting Executive Director, Labor-Management Relations
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Competitive Enterprise Institute
American Federation of Government Employees