• To examine the coordinated federal response to the spread of the Zika virus both within the United States (US) and internationally.
• To address confusion and misinformation surrounding measures taken at home and abroad to prevent further transmission of Zika, especially with the 2016 Summer Olympics taking place in Brazil.
• The Zika virus is a disease transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes.
• The World Health Organization estimates between 3 million to 4 million cases of the Zika virus could appear in the Americas over a 12 month period.
• According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as of February 17, 2016 82 travel-associated Zika cases were reported in the US.
• President Obama requested $1.8 billion in emergency funding to prepare for and respond to the spread of Zika.
Witnesses and testimonies
|Dr. Anne Schuchat||Principal Deputy Director||Centers for Disease Control and Prevention||Document|
|Dr. Anthony Fauci||Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases||National Institutes of Health||Document|
|Dr. John Armstrong||Surgeon General and Secretary of Health||State of Florida||Document|
|Dr. Bill Moreau||Managing Director for Sports Medicine||United States Olympic Committee||Document|