Cantor Solicits “Citizen CoSponsors” For The DATA Act
Transparency bill featured on Majority Leader’s new citizen engagement platform
WASHINGTON – House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., today featured H.R. 2146, the Digital Accountability and Transparency Act (DATA Act), in the release of the new “Citizen CoSponsor Project.” The project is described as “a dynamic communications platform that creates a more open, visible and participatory legislative process. Built on Facebook, Citizen CoSponsor will enable you to follow legislation that you’re interested in. You will then receive first-hand information and updates on the status of the bill as it moves through the legislative process.”
Click Above to Become DATA Act Citizen CoSponsor
Individuals wishing to support the legislation can visit http://www.MajorityLeader.gov/CITIZENS to “CoSponsor” and keep tabs as their favorite bills move through the legislative process.
The bill’s cosponsor, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, took to Facebook to thank those who had already signed up to “CoSponsor” the bill. “Thank you for cosponsoring this crucial open government legislation that would bring data-driven transparency & accountability to the federal government,” the congressman wrote. “Let's get this done, together.” Issa encouraged those with questions about the DATA Act to find him on Facebook or tweet questions to him here.
The Data Act requires entities that receive taxpayer money to directly report how it’s spent, establishes strong data standards for federal spending information and makes all the data public on a single sortable and searchable electronic platform, creating unprecedented transparency and accountability.
To read more about the DATA Act, please click the links below.
Key DATA Act Press Releases
- June 13, 2011 - Issa Introduces Sweeping Open Government, Spending Transparency Reforms
- June 13, 2011 - Issa Statement on Biden Spending Transparency Announcement
- June 14, 2011 - VIDEO: Top Watchdog Supports Transparency Legislation
- June 16, 2011 - Issa Statement on Introduction of Senate Version of DATA Act
- June 22, 2011 - Oversight Committee Approves Federal Spending Transparency Bill
- September 6, 2011 - Oversight Committee Releases Agency Responses on Federal Management IT Systems
- October 13, 2011 - Transparency Legislation Builds Momentum: Issa Announces Endorsements
- December 15, 2011 - Top Watchdog, Government Accountability Board Endorse DATA Act Proposal