- To identify the harms of infringing on the right to free speech on college campuses.
- To explore recommendations on how to encourage and protect First Amendment rights, as well as intellectual and ideological diversity, on college campuses.
- To understand administrators’ concerns about public safety and controversial speakers on campus, which sometimes lead to unconstitutional restrictions on free speech.
- In recent years, failures by college administrators and rising intolerance among college students have led to a number of disturbing and, at times, violent anti-speech incidents on college campuses.
- While students’ constitutionally protected right to free speech is under attack on campuses, these schools receive billions of dollars each year from federal taxpayers.
- Some of the witnesses will be able to speak firsthand about speech suppression on campus, including having been shouted down, threatened, and disinvited.
Witnesses and testimonies
|Ms. Nadine Strossen||John Marshal Harlan II Professor of Law||New York Law School|
|Mr. Ben Shapiro||Editor-in-Chief||The Daily Wire|
|Mr. Adam Carolla||Comedian and Filmmaker||No Safe Spaces Documentary|
|Dr. Michael Zimmerman||Former Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs||The Evergreen State College|
|Mr. Frederick Lawrence||Secretary and CEO, The Phi Beta Kappa Society||Anti-Defamation League|