- To examine leadership failures at the Department of the Interior Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement’s (BSEE) and the Obama administration’s efforts to reorganize the Department after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon incident.
- To consider recommendations for improving the Interior Department’s management and oversight capabilities.
- BSEE is responsible for conducting oversight of offshore oil and gas production, as well as maintaining safety and environmental standards related to the offshore energy industry.
- GAO will release a report in advance of the hearing that highlights its findings on BSEE’s offshore oversight, personnel and leadership challenges – and provides recommendations.
- GAO also identified management deficiencies at BSEE in its 2017 High Risk report and a 2016 report.
Witnesses and testimonies
|Mr. Richard T. Cardinale||Acting Assistant Secretary for Lands and Minerals Management||U.S. Department of Interior||Document|
|Mr. Frank Rusco||Director, Natural Resources and Environment-Energy Issues||Government Accountability Office||Document|