- To review the process by which the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) determines which Metropolitan Statistical Areas receive Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) grant funding.
- To evaluate UASI funding history for the Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, Florida area, and the decision not to fund that area for the last two fiscal years.
- The UASI grant program provides financial assistance to address planning activities, organizational resources, equipment, training, and exercise needs of high-threat, high-density urban areas.
- UASI grants totaled more than $8.2 billion from Fiscal Year (FY) 2005 to FY 2016.
- In January 2016, DHS lowered the Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, Florida area’s Metropolitan Statistical Area Risk Profile Rank, which adversely affected Orlando’s opportunity for UASI funding.=
Witnesses and testimonies
|Sheriff Jerry Demings||Orange County Sheriff's Office||Document|
|Chief John Mina||Orlando Police Department||Document|
|Mr. Walter Purdy||President||Terrorism Research Center||Document|
|Ms. Brian E. Kamoie||Assistant Adminstrator of Grant Program||Federal Emergency Management Agency||Document|