- To examine use of fines, fees, penalties, and settlements to fund agency priorities outside of the appropriations process.
- To discuss H.R. 5499, the Agency Accountability Act of 2016 as a potential solution.
- The Constitution vests the power of the purse in Congress, and over time it has been subverted by spending that occurs outside of the appropriations process.
- Agencies routinely use funds collected through fines, fees, penalties, and settlements, to fund agency operations and unappropriated programs.
- The Government Accountability Office calls this “backdoor spending.”
Acting Director, Strategic Issues
U.S. Government Accountability Office
Senior Fellow and Governance Project Director
R Street Institute
National Whistleblower Center