WASHINGTON – Today, House Committee on Oversight and Reform Ranking Member James Comer (R-Ky.) is launching a broad probe into President Biden’s energy crisis that is harming the pocketbooks of Americans. Ranking Member Comer is calling on senior leadership at the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), U.S. Department of State (State), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to provide information related to the Biden Administration’s strategy to address high energy prices, abuse of strategic oil reserves, President Biden’s secret deal with Saudi Arabia to lower gas prices before the election, and the implementation of radical Green New Deal policies that drive up costs for American consumers.
“Since day one in office, President Biden has waged war on American-made energy and driven up costs for Americans. President Biden has unilaterally shut down the Keystone XL pipeline, implemented a moratorium on oil and gas production on federal lands, drained critical oil reserves, and pushed policies that directly resulted in skyrocketing energy prices. With one-party Democrat rule in Washington, they’ve weaponized their unchecked power, waged a war against American-made energy production, and forced Green New Deal policies on the American people,” said Ranking Member James Comer. “Oversight Republicans have pushed senior Biden Administration officials for answers and will continue to seek their plans to reverse energy policies detrimental to the American people and our national security. With the power of the gavel, we will hold the Biden Administration responsible for recklessly attacking a critical industry that provides the American people affordable energy and good-paying job opportunities.”
On November 7, 2022, Ranking Member Comer issued a report outlining how the Biden Administration and Oversight Committee Democrats have promoted dangerous energy policies and failed to produce a coherent plan to address skyrocketing energy prices. Ranking Member Comer and Oversight Republicans have repeatedly called on the Biden Administration to provide information about its energy crisis, but the Biden Administration has failed to produce any information. In the 118th Congress, Ranking Member Comer will continue pushing for meaningful oversight and policies that unleash U.S. domestic energy potential and secure American energy independence.
Below are the letters Ranking Member Comer sent today:
- Letter to DOE Secretary Granholm requesting information to about the Biden Administration’s approach to reducing energy costs.
- Letter to Secretary Granholm following-up on multiple letters requesting documents from regarding historic Strategic Petroleum Reserve releases.
- Letter to State Secretary Blinken requesting information about the “secret deal to boost oil production” between Administration officials and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Also requests a transcribed interview with Amos Hochstein, the Administration’s Special Envoy and Coordinator for International Affairs at the U.S. Department of State.
- Letter to EPA Administrator Regan requesting the EPA provide a staff-level briefing, documents, and information about a methane rule with burdensome compliance costs and a provision which encourages third parties to access private property.
- Letter to SEC Chair Gensler requesting information about a technical glitch leading to the loss of public comments on its ESG rule.