- To examine the state of federal information technology in 2018, including government-wide plans for information technology (IT) modernization.
- To examine the Administration’s progress in implementing the Modernizing Government Technology (MGT) Act.
- To discuss other key aspects of information technology (IT) including the IT workforce, emerging technologies, and continuing IT acquisition and contracting issues.
- The Committee has been examining the state of federal IT, highlighting the government’s outsized spending on legacy IT. To address the issue, the Committee moved the MGT Act, which was signed into law in December 2017.
- The MGT Act authorized working capital funds for IT projects at agencies covered by the Chief Financial Officers Act and established a central modernization fund overseen by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and administered by the General Services Administration.
- On February 27, 2018, OMB released MGT implementation guidance to agencies. These innovative funding mechanisms are intended to incentivize IT savings and modernization.
Director of IT Management Issues
Government Accountability Office
Deputy Director for Management
Office of Management and Budget
Deputy Assistant Commissioner of the IT Category
General Services Administration
Assistant Secretary for the Office of Cybersecurity and Communications
Department of Homeland Security
|Chairman Hurd Opening Statement